Click here to check out my past blog posts....

Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 23, 2015

What makes your nose happy?

Have you ever thought about smells? Like a bad smell, or a really good smell?
One that takes you far away in your memory to a happy/or bad place?

My nose is a tell-all. Mac can walk in the door and I ask him, "where'd you get the beer?" He'll look at me like a freak. He can have one beer hours earlier and I'll smell it. I just smile and confer that I am the all knowing, all seeing wife. I don't care that he had a beer, I just want him to know I'm on to him.

What about a certain flower? I smell lavender and am immediately picturing myself at a spa, relaxing, and not worrying about what's for dinner that night.
Now smelling an Easter Lily takes me to a sad place of memories of my son's funeral. He died around Easter and the church was full of Easter Lily's. I would be sad if I couldn't smell that flower, because I like the reminder of him, but it's a "sad smell".

Being from Fort Atkinson, growing up, we drove through Jefferson a lot. Now if you're from Jefferson, or that area, you'll know what I'm talking about.....the dog food factory! I LOVED that smell.
Call me crazy, but I'd stick my nose out the window and take a big whiff of the grainy food smell. Now that smell, takes me to my childhood.

Fresh bread, who doesn't love that? It makes me want to find a robust bottle of wine and dip it in balsamic and oil. And why on earth doesn't Mac think this is enough for supper? Life would be so much simpler for me if I could serve bread and wine once a week!

Smelling coconuts makes me think of being on a beach. Oil and dirt make me think of my Father, coming home from work, looking all sweaty and smelling like a "working man".

How about this....a skunk? I actually smell a skunk, and yes, its nasty, but I think again of Thomas! His favorite stuffed animal was a beanie baby skunk, named Stinky.

Another one of my favorite childhood smells, was my Uncle David's cherry tobacco pipe. Now that smell is amazing. Every now and then I'll go to their home in Janesville and get a burst of that smoky, cherry fragrance. If he's been in his garage enjoying a smoke, I can smell that. I close my eye's, and I'm right back to family Christmas. I don't condone smoking, but hey, if they'd invent a candle with that exact smell, I'd buy it!

Living on a farm, I get LOTS of different smells thrown at me. Every morning the cow manure gets taken out. I hate that smell. I hate the smell of corn silage. But when they're cutting the fresh hay? Heavenly.
Now if a cow takes a #1, I can smell that putrid smell from the pasture, its awful!

Smells are so psychological, but they transform us to enjoy so many memories. What would we do without them? Think of your favorites, and your least favorites. 

Now go about your day....and please, stop and smell the roses.